Tuesday, October 1, 2013

new work

Just a bit about this piece:

A section of the title, your hidden world, speaks to an aspect of Iceland I really only began to appreciate and reflect upon after I had returned from my residency.  Thinking back, I was struck by the feeling I still carry that Iceland- its people, its landscape, even its urban culture in Reykjavik- held secrets under the surface...things not easily understood, things not easily given up.  I kept thinking about days spent in the north, traveling through the landscape:  sparse, cool, minimal.  It would be too easy, and very wrong, to assume that what you saw was all you got.  I still now feel that things can be found by digging just a bit.  The country has a rich history- a wealth of events, much to learn about.  The people are intelligent, thoughtful, sophisticated...but you need to engage to truly feel the depth of all of this.  Otherwise, the false impression can be had that the quiet of it all equals an absence of content.  Not true, and such a mistake to believe.  Firmly back in my life in the states, I'm still learning about the place, still uncovering the layers.

Baer whites no.21 (your hidden world)
2013
oil, encaustic on panel
26x42"
click on image to enlarge

1 comment:

  1. Peter! Iceland changed your life and your work. Do you have the
    nerve to return? xxoooElinore

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave comments...:)