Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Baer show, heading home...

I'm sitting in a flat in Reykjavik on Thursday evening, June 27, after a lengthy bus trip from the north. I left Baer late this morning...the first of the five artists-in-residence to leave.  Not a badge I wear by choice, but a necessary distinction, as my flight for home leaves tomorrow at 5:25pm, and coordinating all of the bus trips (2-3, depending) to make it to the Keflavik airport from Baer on Friday allowed no room for error. I decided  it would be more prudent to leave a day early, plant myself in Reykjavik for the evening, and head out the next day with plenty of extra space-time.

The downside, of course:  I left Baer today.  Reluctantly.  While the prospect of heading home to see the people (and three-legged dog) I miss is an exciting one, I leave behind a place, and group, responsible for an experience unlike any I have had.  More about that in a bit.

Last night we showed our work, together, at an Open House/reception...the culmination of the month's art-making efforts.  These shows are held at Baer at the end of each residency month, and are well-attended by so many in the area.  Last night was no different.  Lots of people came to the Art Center to view our work, placed and hung in both our studio spaces as well as the large barn gallery at the end of the building.  The work looked great, and this was our first, and only, opportunity to see it all together in one  sequence of spaces.  now it all travels...to Germany, Denmark, and three separate locations in the US (maybe more!)







We spent the day preparing, and the evening socializing...and then celebrating.  We met some great people, both from the area( farm families, fishing families, friends of friends of friends) as well as a few artists-in-residence at other programs nearby (yes, for a sparsely populated part of a sparsely populated country, there are four artist residency programs within an hour or so...none as good as Baer, of course:)).






It was an evening of good conversation, new friendships, and great feedback.  A warm collective to end our month.  After the throngs departed, the core group- we five artists, the folks who work at Baer, and Steinunn and her husband- all sat down for a few hours of wine and wind-down.  I hit the bed at...I don't know...3am?  Still light out, of course...

The crew around 11 or 12 midnight:






 This morning was melancholic: packing, goodbyes, final look-rounds at the wonder of the area.  A heavy morning wind, accompanied by drama-laden skies, gave me quite a stage for goodbyes.  As is often the case with meaningful experiences, there is a potent mix of sadness and joy upon leaving it.  That's today's theme.  I feel it, as I sit in Reykjavik.  I know we, the artists and Steinunn, will stay in touch.  I will also be seeing Steinunn in October when she comes to Boston for a conference.  And, I intend to return: to Iceland, and to Baer.  It's now, in some tiny but significant way, in my blood.

I've now caught the artist residency bug.

More, please.





No comments:

Post a Comment

please feel free to leave comments...:)